Skip to main content

Feature Writer Emma Garland on Her Path Into Journalism.

We have all, at some point, read an article by a feature writer. But what, however, does the journey to becoming a journalist of this nature look like? 

For Emma Garland, who, up until January of last year, had worked at Vice for eight years and recently joined Huck as the magazine's new digital editor, the answer isn't quite as straightforward as the question might seem.

Whilst giving a guest speaker talk at London Metropolitan University, She told students: "My pathway to journalism was very kind of unusual and non-linear."  

"I've never done an internship, I've never done a placement anywhere, I've never had a mentor." 

However, Emma said that whilst doing a B.A. in English literature and creative writing, she found a passion for blogging: "I started reviewing gigs and albums and interviewing bands and stuff like that." 

"[It was] all unpaid, but like, because I wanted free access to shows and records and all of the fun stuff that comes with working for free." 

"I sort of built up a small profile through doing that," she added. 

"So by the time, you know, I was doing an actual degree in journalism, I sort of had a vague reputation of sorts". 

Emma explained that it was through her work on her blog that she ended up being offered a two-week-long placement at Vice, after which the company decided to take her on full-time.

"They hired me based on that. I don't think they even asked if I had a degree. I don't think they asked if I had A-levels, to be honest," she laughed. 

"It is a very weird way in, where sort of Vice was the first place I ever worked. I had never worked in media before that. I've also never worked in an office apart from that." 

Nevertheless, Emma says that she's not the only one who made her way into journalism in such a non-linear manner: "With the way that you know, the post-social media landscape is now, [it is] not uncommon for people to have all these different pathways into journalism."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Nicky's North London

  Hello and Welcome to Nicky's North London.  As you might be able to work out from the site's title, my name is Nicky and the blog is about North London.  At this point in time I don't really know what to write about, and that's kind of awkward actually. To make up for this, I've provided a short film I made about North London a while ago. I hope you like it.

Arsenal Representative Speaks of Importance of Community Work.

A representative of Arsenal in the Community has spoken about the positive impact the project has had on people in Islington and the local area.   When asked about the significance of Arsenal's contributions to the local public,  Samir Singh, who has been with the organisation since 2007, said: " We’re a massive disruption to the local community on a match day, so we need to be a good neighbour." Samir continued: " “I’ll give you a good example: men’s health projects, I say this as a man. Stupid men won’t listen to their doctors or their wives but they’ll listen to Arsenal.  "If through our men’s health programme we can help men to lose weight or, to you know, check for prostate cancer, whatever it might be, that’s powerful.” Other forms of support offered by the project include providing children with numeracy and literacy tutoring, visiting hospital patients with players and promoting the inclusion of females in sport.